Due to climatic and geographical conditions of the province, industrial activities have been booming since a long ago. The province’s productions such as pottery, ceramic, tiles and textile products have been proverbial. Considering rich mines, Yazd province has been one of the industrial provinces of the country and it is the sixth amongst the provinces of the country regarding different industrial and mining indices.
Some of these indices are:
- Share of ceramics and tiles products 45.3 percent
- Share of textile products 25 percent
- Share of steel products 15 percent
According to available statistics, active units in the province are over 3260, with investment size of more than 123305 billion Rials and employment of over 100698 people and more than 8000 different industrial products in different industrial fields.
There are also more than 1395 inchoate projects with more than 20 percent physical progress and predicted investment of over 183807 billion Rials creating more than 55526 job opportunities in the province.
At present more than 37 types of minerals in three groups namely industrial soil, ornamental & decorative stones and constructional materials are exploited from 598 active mines of the province with exploitation capacity of more than 61 million tons annually. Mine section share for the employment in the province is over 12060 people. Yazd province has the most important ironstone mines (Choghart, Chadormalou and more than 38 other anomalies) of the country. Regarding major indices of mine section, Yazd is one of the most advanced provinces of the country.
- Exploitation rate (based on exploitation license): 61 Million tons
- More than 2 billion tons Proved reserve of the mines
- More than 242 Number of active mines
- 988 million tons Proved reserve of the Province’s Ironstone
- 52% Share of the Production industrial soils country
Capacities and Advantages of Industry and Mine Section
- Formation of industrial clusters approaching top exports industries such as:
1. Basic metal industries (steel, especially alloy steel subordinate industries, automobile manufacturing and spare parts, etc.).
2. Process and mining industries (iron, copper, lead and zinc, phosphate, building stones and …).
- Non-metals minerals (ceramic, tiles, cement, etc.).
- Textile industries (spinning, weaving, clothing, yarn and fiber, printing and completing etc.).
- Pharmaceutical and food industries (different types of cookies, sesame seed past and Halva Arde and etc.)
- Handicraft industries (hand woven carpets, pottery and etc.).
- Developing industries with superior technology (H.T)
- Developing petrochemical subordinate industries
- Establishing a special zone for industries based on advanced technology
- Establishing specialized electronics and information technology park
- Establishing special economic zones of «food and drug», «steel», and «ceramic and tile»
- Performing great industrial-productive projects in the form of preparatory plan of the country’s industry
- possibility to create and develop mining and steel industries through completing of the production chain
- Appropriate infrastructures for industrial development especially mining and steel industries
- Rich mines of ironstone, coal, lead and zinc, phosphate, soil earth elements, gold, tin and tungsten, copper, titanium, uranium, chromium, and building stones
- Establishment of great tile and ceramic industries and becoming the most important center of ceramic and tile production in the country
- Enjoyment of long-standing experience in workshop production especially in textile and ceramic industries
- Higher educational and research centers related to this section and skilled human force
- Powerful private section eager to invest
- Potential for developing side and process industries in agriculture section (dairy products, garden products, and medicinal plants, etc.)
- Human and infrastructure potential for establishing new industries based on modern technologies
Priorities of Investment in Industry and Mine in the Province
- Development of low water and green industries.
- Development of modern and High- teck industries.
- Creation and development of value added chain in the field of mineral industry with emphasis on value added ending loops.
- Development of software industries.
- Developing and expanding renewable energy industries.
- Creation and development of export-oriented industries.
 A kind of food made by ground sesame seeds and grape syrup